It’s fall, y’all! Time for apple picking, cider sipping and hay rides. Yeah right. It’s pushing ninety degrees here in the South and hotter and sunnier than it’s been since May. Not that I'm complaining! I made my first apple pie of the season last weekend to go with our BBQ feast, and thought it high time I share this award winning recipe with y’all. (And by award winning, I totally mean in the apple-pie-off I have with Mother about once a year. She will dispute this fact but don’t be fooled. Mine is the family favorite.)
Caramel Apple Pie
1 refrigerator pie crust
½ c sugar
3 T flour
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt
6 c thinly sliced, peeled apples (I like Granny Smith)
1 c brown sugar
½ c flour
½ c quick cooking rolled oats
½ c butter, slightly softened
½ c chopped pecans
¼ c caramel ice cream topping
1. Roll pie crust into 9-inch pie plate according to package directions, trim/crimp edges as desired
2. In large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss unitl coated. Transfer to pie plate.
3. Mix stir together sugar, flour and oats for topping. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pie.
4. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent over browning. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 25-30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with caramel.
I always serve mine a la mode. Is there any other way?!
Speaking of apple pickin, I’ve never taken the boys. I’d love to know your favorite places in North Georgia!
Find me at: My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tatertots and Jello, A Stroll Through Life, French Country Cottage, No Minimalist Here, The36th Avenue, It's Overflowing, Shine on Fridays, DIY Show Off, House of Hepworth, 52 Mantels, I Heart Nap Time, The Frugal Girls,Six Sisters Stuff, One Project Closer, Jennifer Rizzo, Le Chateau des Fleurs, Common Ground, Liz Marie Blog, Not Just a Housewife, Miss Mustard Seed, Sugar Bee Crafts, Elizabeth and Co, Rain on a Tin Roof, Coastal Charm, Uncommon Designs, Mop It Up Monday, The Tablescaper, A Lived In Home, Monday Funday, The Scoop at Cedar Hill Ranch, Remodelaholic, Evolution of Style